News & Media
GuideGunnar welcomes travel writers to share their experiences from Arctic Norway
"Half an hour later, Gunnar pulls into a siding. He flicks on the interior light over the driver's seat. Thirteen silent faces look at him. We're in the middle of nowhere, the van's windows have fogged up and he turns to us in his furry hat. It's all a bit surreal and I have goosebumps.
But, then Gunnar begins what he does best. He talks. He shows us a map and begins to explain about the solar winds, the magnetic North Pole, about collisions and exploding light. We're off like storm chasers across the frozen landscape. Gunnar cites Norse mythology; "If you whistle or wave at the lights, the spirits will take you away," he says."
- by Marian McGuinness, The Sydney Morning Herald.
Jakten på nordlyset / Chasing the Northern Lights TV
Discovery Networks Norway launches one of its most spectacular TV-series ‘Chasing the Northern Lights’ on TVNorge and Dplay 2 January 2018.
Set in Tromsø, Norway, the TV-series is an extraordinary journey into the land of the Northern Lights, featuring not only the Aurora, but also dog sledding, whale safaris, reindeers and of course, guests from all over the world.
GuideGunnar features in the series as the northern lights guide. Chasing the Northern Lights TV-series allows a rare view into the life of GuideGunnar and fellow activity providers both at work and at home in Norway, Arctic Europe.
In Chasing the Northern Lights we meet dedicated people who are truly passionate about their work. These are people with drive, engagement and enthusiasm. It is exciting to follow them in their every-day life says Sverry Nordbø, Discovery Networks Norway.
Chasing the Northern Lights is produced by Alfred Film & TV for TVNorge.
GuideGunnar and Alfred Film og TV CEO Silje Bürgin-Borch are available for interviews.
Please contact Bürgin-Borch, +47 9543 0635, firstname.lastname@example.org
"Chasing the Northern Lights" sold to Germany
The TVNorge series «Jakten på nordlyset» (Chasing the northern lights) is sold to Germany. It is German NDR that has bought «Jakten på nordlyset», and it will also run on ARD, one of Germany's largest public broadcasters. It will also air in Switzerland and Austria.
Northern lights boom
The focus of the series is the boom of the northern lights tourism in Tromsø, where the viewer will get acquainted with some local operators who do all within their power to satisfy demanding tourists from around the world. Tromsø's winter tourism has really taken off lately, with a turnover of over half a billion kroner in recent years. Tromsø has experienced a huge boom in recent years, with foreign tourists leaving behind NOK 1.6 billion (GBP 150 million) last year.
Guide to magic of Northern Lights nominated for top global award
He is called GuideGunnar and for 12 years he has been taking visitors to one of the earth’s most enchanting sights, the Northern Lights.
Now, this much-loved, down-to-earth guide is in a select group with his nomination for a Luxury Travel Guide award.
Gunnar Hildonen, to give his full name, is in the running to win the 2018 Luxury Travel Guide’s Holiday and Tour Specialist awards. Nominations come from companies and individuals across Europe, with voting by subscribers, hotel guests, travel agencies and industry experts worldwide.
His excitement and passion for his job are contagious as he describes once seeing the lights as an “amazing crazy corona, with intense rock’n’roll dancing all over, with four to five colours.”
Journalists, travel writers and bloggers seek out GuideGunnar to share their experiences from Arctic Norway
L`Express, Styles, France, December 2008
Asahi Weekly Travel, Japan - May 2008
London Metro Magazine, UK - December 2009
The Sydney Morning Herald, Australia - March 2010
L`eco De Bergamo, Italy, 2011
National Geographic Traveller, UK, March 2011
Ruijan Kaiku, Finnish Newspaper in Tromsø - April 2012
- About Tromsø - The Daily Telegraph, August 2012 >>
- Venus Blog, Hong Kong, March 2012 >>
- Varden, newspaper Telemark I, July 2013 >>
- NRK Nordnytt October 2013 >>
- U Magazine, Hong Kong, November 2014 >>
- Hong Kong Newspaper Travel, November 2014 >>
- The Daily Telegraph, Australia, February 2015 >>
- Atlas & Boots - an Outdoor Travel Blog by Kia Abdullah, October 2016 >>
- GuideGunnar - One of the Pioneers of Experience Tourism in Norway, October 2016 >>
- Etihad InFlight Magazine (.pdf), November 2016 >>
- Etihad InFlight Magazine, Abu Dabi - November 2016
- Esquire Hong Kong - December 2016
- Scandinavia On My Mind - October 2017
- Roadster, Hungary, November 2017 >>
- Varden, newspaper Telemark, December 2017 >>
- TVNorge, National TV - teaser for "Jakten på nordlyset" 2017>>
- Discovery+, Jakten på Nordlyset TV series 2018>>
- Lonely Planet Review 2018 >>
- Ahoy Matey Travel Blog by Priya Florence Shah, September 2018 >>
- "Dem Polarlicht auf der Spur" on NDR Fernsehen in 2018, 2019 and 2020 >>